Finding out that you need a permanent tooth removed from your mouth might not be the best news you could receive, yet dentists extract teeth all the time. If the tooth is not a wisdom tooth, you will most likely need to consider replacement options for the tooth, because leaving a gap in your mouth is not a good idea. Here are several important things to know about getting a tooth extracted and the replacement options you can choose from.
Reasons Teeth Need to be Removed
When you find out you need a tooth extracted, it is most likely for one of the following reasons:
- The tooth is a wisdom tooth, and you do not need your wisdom teeth. In fact, wisdom teeth generally cause more harm than good for most people.
- Your mouth is crowded. When a person's mouth is overcrowded, the easiest solution for fixing the problem is by removing one or more teeth. If this is the reason you need a tooth removed, you will not have to worry about replacing it.
- The tooth is too damaged to be repaired. The other common reason for needing an extraction occurs when a tooth is too damaged to be repaired. If your dentist cannot fix the tooth, he or she will recommend removing it. In this case, your dentist will talk to you about tooth-replacement options.
These are the most common reasons people need tooth extractions.
Options for Replacing a Missing Tooth
If your dentist cannot fix a tooth and recommends extracting it, he or she will also talk to you about replacing the tooth. If you do not replace it, you will have a gap in your mouth, and a gap like this can present the following problems:
- It can cause your teeth to shift out of place.
- It can lead to gum disease in the area of the gap.
- A gap leads to jawbone loss because the bone has nothing to stimulate it.
To avoid these problems, you could choose a dental bridge, removable partial denture, or dental implant. These are the most common methods used for replacing missing teeth, and each option has pros and cons. Your dentist can help you understand the pros and cons of each and can help you choose the right option for your mouth.
If you find out that you need a tooth removed, talk to your dentist to learn more about the current options for replacing this missing tooth. For more information, contact companies like Holly Springs Dental Care.